Saturday 15 October 2011

Magnolia Bakery in NYC By Chloe Sidgwick

As I don't have the funds to go to NYC my friend and fellow blogger of 'Chloe's Sidgwick's guide to Sewing and Cooking' has done a guest blog of her experience in NYC at Magnolia Bakery just for me!




As I am sure you all know, Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker Street, NYC is famous mainly because Carrie and Miranda from Sex And The City are big fans of their cupcakes…as am I and probably the rest of NY!
When I lived in NY, my apartment was on west 11th and 7th Avenue, a small walk from Magnolia, so most weekends I would go there early in the morning to beat the queues and indulge in their mouth watering cupcakes. I would try to be adventurous and go for something different like the gingerbread, carrot or pumpkin but my favorite would always be the red velvet – there is nothing better!









Here is a recipe I use when I make them (they are never as good as the ones in Magnolia though!):
Makes 12 cupcakes:
60 g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 egg
10 g cocoa powder
20ml red food colouring
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
120ml buttermilk
150g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
Cream cheese:
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter
125g cream cheese
Method:
Preheat oven to 170C
Mix butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add the egg and beat well.
In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder, red food colouring, and vanilla extract to make a thick dark paste.  Add this to the butter mixture and mix well.  Then slowly poor in the buttermilk, beat well, and then add half the flour until everything is well mixed.  Then add the other half slowly and mix well until you have a smooth, even mixture. Slowly add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.  Mix well for a few minutes.
Spoon the mixture into paper cases until two thirds full and bake for 20-25 mins.  Leave to cool.
Cream cheese:
Beat the icing sugar and butter together. Then add the cream cheese in one go and mix until completely incorporated and light and fluffy – at least 5 mins.
Spoon the mixture on top of each cupcake and YUM! 






No comments:

Post a Comment