Saturday 15 October 2011

I ♥ Fortnum & Mason's





I was born and bred in London and I am ashamed to say that I had never visited the food Mecca that is Fortnum and Mason's in Piccadilly. With the lure of free cupcake sampling for National cupcake Week I decided to finally venture in.

Unfortunately there ended up to be no free cupcakes but that wasn't a problem as the actual store is amazing. I felt like Macaulay Culkin in Home alone when he walks into the Toy Store and is totally overwhelmed by everything.






The baking section was phenomenal look at these guys! Definitely going to get some online.

 Fortnum and Masons are known for their cream teas, when I saw the little scones topped with thick cream and shiny jam I instantly wanted to make my mini Vicky sponges.
 
I bought some rather posh strawberry jam from Fortnums it's all I managed to get my head round buying...



Here's my recipe for my mini Vicky sponges:

*For the sponge*
200g caster sugar (vanilla sugar if you have it)
200g soft unsalted butter
4 Happy eggs
1tbp vanilla extract
200g self-raising flour, sieved
1tsp baking powder

*For the filling*
100g soft unsalted butter
150g icing sugar, sifted
A drop of vanilla extract
A jar of very posh jam

To make the sponge…
    ◦    Heat oven to 190ºC . Grease and lightly dust with flour a muffin tray.
    ◦    Beat together the unsalted butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
    ◦    Break the eggs into a jug and add the vanilla extract. Beat the mixture lightly with a fork.
    ◦    Add the egg very gradually to the mixture. Once all the eggs are in, fold in the flour with a large metal spoon
    ◦    Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface. Bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cakes springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
To make the butter icing…
    ◦     Beat the unsalted butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in icing sugar and vanilla extract.
    ◦    Split the cakes in half. Spread the butter cream over the bottom half and top it with jam. Sandwich with the top. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment